Friday, February 10, 2012

$15 Guest Room REDO!

Yep, I've had another busy week of crafting. I really never had a plan to redo the guest bedroom, but after my trash find last week, I just had to decorate around it and redo the room. I will say that our guest room has been largely ignored since we moved in 6 years ago. It was sort of a mish mash of furniture and artwork. I was very ready for a change.
I can't wait to show you all I've been doing this week! I've got some incredible before and after pictures for you. My goal was to redo the room for $10 or under. I came in above budget...at $15. Wait until you see what $15 can do!

It all started with this trash find. I loved this the minute I saw it! Yes, it needs love, but the potential was so exciting. I actually planned the room decor around this chest, the angel wings my cousin made me, and the bedspread I had already.
I decided to go with a vintage feel.

I sanded and painted the chest, put on some new drawer pulls (CHEAP at Hobby Lobby), and used some modge podge to put on some vintage scrapbook paper. Isn't it awesome?? Let's talk about the thrifty finds....the drawer pulls were on sale for cheap at Hobby Lobby, the white lace on top was a curtain from Goodwill for $2.99, the flower "vase" was a thrift store find, and I made all the decorative balls. The frames were CHEAP. I got about 10 or so frames from Goodwill for .25 cents each and painted them all to match. I haven't gotten pictures in them yet...but all the pictures in the room I printed in "sepia" so they would match. The lamp was an old one I had in a closet. I spray painted it a gorgeous metallic color and got the shade at Goodwill for $2.00. I hot glued the lace ($1.49 per yard at Hobby Lobby) on the shade myself. What do you think??

I also did a little redo of our bed side table. It's really a desk that Gary made in high school, so it's special and I didn't want to get rid of it. It was already painted brown...and was a bit dusty as you can see. So, I cleaned it up, ripped off the fabric on top, and recovered it with a gorgeous fabric I got on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $2 a foot! I also changed out the drawer pull.

Here are some fun details on the desk. I found this...well, I don't really know what it is, but I loved it. I painted it a metallic silver. The Tiffany lamp I had already, it was a dark bronze, so I painted it to match the room. Check out this picture! All the frames in the room I already had, I just white washed them with paint so they would match. I used scrapbook paper as a background, and printed some of my favorite pictures. This is a picture of my hand letting go of dad's ashes. Love it.

Here's another cheap and easy change. I already had these curtains (WOOHOO, that saves a ton of money!) but the curtain rod was UGLY. So, I wrapped the entire thing in twine. What a difference and it cost NO money!

Here's another great before and after. I found this awesome frame at Goodwill for $3 and snatched it right up knowing exactly what wall it would be perfect on! I took the frame apart, white washed the frame with paint, and then found some vintage scrapbook paper and simply used spray adhesive to attach it right on top of the existing picture. So simple and cheap, but what a major difference!

I love how some of the picture details turned out. I wanted to have some things in the room that reminded me of dad. I found this scrapbook paper of an old railroad track. I used a frame I already had, white washed it with paint, glued some old book pages on the background, and then just used spray adhesive to attach the railroad picture.

For the photo collage I printed some pictures of us in "sepia", used a corner punch to round the corners, white washed an old frame I had, used scrapbook paper as the background and used spray adhesive to attach.

The "key" frame is one of my favorite's! I found the metal keys at hobby lobby (all in one package in the scrapbook area), and found an old frame at the Goodwill. I spray painted the frame (took the glass out) and just hot glued the keys right onto the frame.

The plate hanger was the perfect place to put some special photos. I already had it, and just spray painted it, got some old frames from Goodwill and painted them all the same color, used left over scrapbook paper as background and just set them in the plate holder.

Do you think all this crafting goes off without a hitch? Let's just say the spray paint and I had an explosive encounter!

Want to see it all put together? I can't wait to show it to you.....but first, the before.

And the after....I'm so in love!

Today marks the 2nd anniversary of dad going to heaven. I wanted to make something special to commemorate this day. I had this old bunk bed ladder that I found out for the trash a couple years ago. I could never figure out what to do with it, until Pinterest inspired me! I found an idea and knew it would be perfect! It cost me no money (that's Gary's favorite part) because I had everything already. I spray painted the ladder dark brown, spray painted two old frames I had laying around, had 3 special pictures printed in "sepia" so they would match, then hot glued cheap picture hanging hooks to the back of the frames and tied them onto the ladder with juke twine. Don't you just love it? So simple!

SO....WHAT DO YOU THINK????

2 comments:

  1. I'm amazed at what you've done. I want to come sleep in the guest room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really know how to make the old new again! Found your site via Roadkill Rescue. Wish i could see a close-up of the chest with the paper detail; that's a cool idea!! The ladder came out great-nice, meaningful piece.

    ReplyDelete